In 1888, a blacksmith named Charles McIntyre purchased 21 acres of land on the northwest end of Pelee. He moved his shop here from the west side of the Island and continued as a blacksmith through the 1890's.
In 1899, McIntyre built the present structure like a boarding house to accommodate quarrymen. His wife served ice cream from this location, and around 1904 she opened a small store. The McIntyre's left Pelee Island in 1907.
In 1908 Samuel Lucas moved his family here from Brown's Point. Lucas farmed on the land until his family left Pelee Island in 1951.
The house and its 21 acres were sold to a group of hunters from the Detroit area, and in 1971 they sold it to Manny and Dottie Emrich of Ohio. The Emrich's opened the Anchor & Wheel Inn in 1977.
In the Spring of 1989, the Anchor & Wheel Inn was purchased by your host, Mark Emrich, who takes pride in providing guests with clean, comfortable accommodations and hearty Island meals.